|Cassoday, Kansas, Site
#41, Dallas to
Kansas City Airway Map, Sep 20, 1928.
Department of Commerce Airway Bulletin no. 428, Washington DC,
depicting the airway and the Cassoday Intermediate Field layout (lower
The field was
operated by the Department of Commerce using two grass runways in an 'L'
formation 2,600 feet long.
In the northwest corner of
the airfield was a 2-million candlepower 24 inch rotating beacon which
rotated at 6 RPM. The newly-built field had few amenities (no fuel,
repairs, or telegraph) but did have nighttime lights around the boundary
of the airfield.
By 1931, the starting
point of the airway had been changed from Dallas to Amarillo, and this
resulted in a renumbering of the airfields & beacons. Cassoday was
changed from Site #41 to Site #34 and, according to the 1931 Bulletin #2
this beacon site was upgraded to a Flight Service Station (FSS),
commissioned February 1931, and included course lights and a