Cassoday Airway Beacon Site #41, Kansas.
An aeronautical bulletin was published about the Cassoday airfield which identified it as Site #41 along the airway.  The bulletin further detailed the field as being operated by the Department of Commerce & having 2 grass runways in an 'L' formation 2,600 feet long (see airport diagram). 

In the northwest corner of the airfield was a 2-million candlepower 24 inch rotating beacon which rotated at 6 RPM.  The newly-built field had few amenities (no fuel, repairs, or telegraph) but did have nighttime lights around the boundary of the airfield.

By 1931, the starting point of the airway had been changed from Dallas to Amarillo, and this resulted in a renumbering of the airfields & beacons. Cassoday was changed from Site #41 to Site #34 and, according to the 1931 Bulletin #2 this beacon site was upgraded to a Flight Service Station (FSS), commissioned February 1931, and included course lights and a weather teletype. 

 

Return to Facility Photos home page.

FillerTr.gif (48 bytes)

        Please send  comments regarding this page to Webmaster