Eau Claire, Wisconsin FSS History

History of Eau Claire FSS

FSS History
Class Photos
Facility Photos
Life Stories


Interstate Airways Communication Station/Flight Service Station

Civil Aeronautics Administration/Federal Aviation Administration
Eau Claire, Wisconsin


The following is a historical record of the Eau Claire Wisconsin Airways Communication Station that began operation on July 11, 1949 and later became the Eau Claire Wisconsin Flight Service Station until decommissioning on November 7, 1989.

The Interstate Airways Communication Station of the Civil Aeronautics Administration is located on the Municipal Airport at Eau Claire, Wisconsin. The present office is located northeast of the Airport Administration Building in a building twenty feet by forty feet, one story, which includes the communications quarters, the Maintenance Technician’s office, the equipment room, storage space, and the Chief Airways Operations Specialist's office. The outside of the building is covered with white asbestos siding. The Airport Administration Building is a long quonset hut.

All the buildings on the airport at present face northwest, as they are located on the northeast-corner of the field, on a half circle which commences   in the southeast corner of the airport and extends around the northeast corner.

The Maintenance Technician reported for duty June 3, 1948 to take over the duties and care of the VHF Omni-Directional Range being constructed at Eau Claire. The VHF Omni-Directional Range was placed in operation July 20, 1948 on a non-commissioned basis and unmonitored. The VOR operated in this capacity until the Interstate Airway Communications Station came into being on July 1, 1949. The Airways Operations Specialist personnel were all transferred from the stations from which they were selected to the Interstate Airways Communication Station in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. The communication station was not completed on July first and the Airways Operations Specialists were all given one week's leave.

After all Airways Operations Specialist personnel returned from annual leave, a conference was called on July 9, 1949 so that the Airways Operations Specialists could be instructed in the use of the new type equipment installed in the console, and to correlate other data with the Specialists regarding the operation of the station. A brief interview was sufficient to determine that they were adequately trained in the use of the manuals and other related instructions; consequently, the business on hand was quickly completed.

The Communications Station at Eau Claire was one of the first to have the new type console installed. All wiring and equipment is of the latest type with all the controls on the console, and the associated equipment located in the equipment room.

Delays in receiving equipment and unforeseen difficulties hindered completion of the installation work and delayed the opening of the station.

At a later date it was also learned that the Weather Bureau would be unable to send their personnel here to install the observational equipment. Consequently, on July 11, 1949, the station opened on a non-commissioned basis with limited wire service on circuits 8006, 819l, and 33 during the hours of 0800C to 1700C. The service continued in this category until July 12th, at which time instructions were received to open the communications station at Eau Claire on a twenty-four hour basis although teletype facilities only were available.

On July 19th, the radio transmitter facilities on 117.7, 111.1, and 116.1 megacycles and receiving facilities on 122.1, and 116.1 megacycles were commissioned. The VOR on 117.7 megacycles was commissioned on voice only. Scheduled broadcasts were commenced on the range frequency of 117.7 megacycles. The VHF-Omni-Directional Range was flight checked and commissioned on July 22, 1949 as a BVOR. The radials checked and found within tolerance were as follows: 72, 78, 102, 149, 164, 179, and 279 degrees magnetic and away from the station.

An addition to the Communication Station, the Chief's office, was started on August 19, 1949, and completed on September 20, 1949. The addition to the Communication Station building is twenty feet long and ten feet wide. The Chief's office is ten feet by thirteen feet with the remainder of the space used for storage.

On August 13,1949, the new VHF TUQ receivers were installed on the frequencies of 122.1, 126.7 and 121.5 megacycles. This arrangement provided two new receiving frequencies on 126.7 and 121.5 megacycles. The frequency of 122.1 megacycles had been previously covered bv a modified receiver from a 522 set.

The transmitting frequency of 116.1 megacycles was changed to 140.58 megacycles, (military frequency), on September 1, 1949.

The VHF "TUQ" transmitters on 111.1 and 121.7 megacycles were installed July 31 1950. The transmitting frequency of 121.5 (emergency) was a new addition. The frequency of 111.1 megacycles had been covered by the 522 set.

On March 1, 1951, the military frequency of 140.58 megacycles was changed to 135.9 megacycles and channel "B" of the transmitter was set up to transmit on 135.0 megacycles.

The transmitting frequency of 111.1 megacycles was discontinued on August 1, 1951. This was replaced by the existing frequency of 126.7 megacycles.

Two new TUQ transmitters for the transmitting frequencies of 126.7 and 121.5 megacycles were installed in the equipment room of the communications station on August 22, 1951.

The VHF standby receiver, BC639, was removed from service on February 7, 1952 and replaced with an RUP VHF tuneable receiver.

On June 22, 1952, a jump clock was installed in the console at the air-ground position to provide easy access to accurate time checks for all phases of this position.

In order to provide a more rapid means of communication and to coordinate inbound and outbound traffic, a local interphone was installed in the offices of Wisconsin Central Airlines and the communications station on July 31, 1952.

DME equipment arrived on October 25, 1952 and is at present stored at the VOR site.

Service on the long-line interphone circuit GTP 7812 to the Minneapolis Control Center was inaugurated on April 13, 1953. North Central Airlines at Eau Claire also has a drop on this circuit. This interphone circuit was established in anticipation of a controlled airway from Minneapolis to Green Bay via Eau Claire and Wausau being designated in the near future.

Effective June 9, 1953, VOR Airway Number 26 was established from Rapid City, South Dakota to include Redwood Falls, Minnesota and Minneapolis, Minnesota; then extending eastward over Eau Claire and Wausau Wisconsin and terminating at Green Bay, Wisconsin. VOR Airway Number 129 was established from the Eau Claire Omni-range station to the La Crosse Omni-range station.

The teletype drop on Circuit 33 located in the Eau Claire communications station was discontinued by a Washington order on November 25, 1953. Adequate meteorological information for pilot briefing is now received on Service "A", and the extensive meteorological information received on Service "C" was no longer needed.

Circuit 8006, Service "A" was converted to 75 wpm operations at 1417C on January 22, 1954. Circuit 8191, Service "B", was expected to be converted at a later date. Operations at 75 wpm on circuit 8191 began at 1417C April 7, 1954.

Installation of the ultra high frequency Military frequency 255.4mcs, receiving facilities only, was completed and commissioned on July 61 1954. Provision was made in the console wiring for a transmitter control switch in the event a transmitter on 255.4mcs would be installed at some future date.

A wind direction and velocity indicator was installed in the console at the air-ground position on July 8, 1954. Wind direction and velocity values may now be transmitted to pilots without delay.

Distance Measuring Equipment (DME) associated with the EAU Omni-Range has been installed at the VOR site and began operation on August 29, 1954 for 30 days on a non-commissioned basis. Following the 30 day period, the DME was to be operated two days per mouth and remain in non-commissioned status until further notice.

The new Service "B" improvement program was inaugurated at 1000C October 17, 1955. All Service "B" circuits were rearranged, renumbered and renamed at this time to conform to the preestablished flight information areas. Eau Claire is now on Circuit 9274; the Circuit identification is XMP.

On November 18, 1955, the installation of Phase V equipment was completed at Eau Claire and will be commissioned at some future date.

This consists of transmitting and receiving facilities on 243.0 megacycles and transmitting facilities on 255.4 megacycles. In addition to the regular equipment guarding 255.4 megacycles and 243.0 megacycles, standby equipment consisting of a remotely tuneable receiver and a remote band changing receiver which can be used to guard any frequency from 225 megacycles to 3999.4 megacycles. A standby transmitter to guard these frequencies was also installed.

The transmitters guarding the civil frequencies 121.5 megacycles, 122.1 megacycles, and 126.7 megacycles were remoted to a small building a short distance behind the communications station during the time the new UHF equipment was being installed.

Two new 28 type teletypes were installed on January 9, 1956. These teletypes are at present used on Service "B" only. The machines are so designed that they print only messages addressed to this facility and do not print other messages which are being transmitted to the circuit.

Receiving and transmitting facilities on 243.0 megacycles and the transmitting facility on 255.4 megacycles previously installed were commissioned on July 26, 1956.

A new RV-1 receiver on 135.9 megacycles was commissioned on March 8, 1957 replacing a BC-624AU receiver on this frequency which was decommissioned at this time.

Transmitting and receiving facilities on 272.7 megacycles were commissioned on December 31, 1958.

Receiving facilities on 3023.5 kilocycles were decommissioned on October 1, 1959, but is available on prior request until further notice.

On April 16, 1959, the Eau Claire VOR was recommissioned in the VORTAC building, and the frequency changed from 117.7 megacycles to 112.9 megacycles.

A fire which started from a spark from the welding torch which the mechanic was using to repair a light aircraft, destroyed the building housing the Airport Operations Office and Shop on January 27, 1960. Two light airplanes in the shop for repair were also destroyed. Temporarily, the Airport Operations Office is in a house trailer and aircraft and engine repairs are being conducted in a hangar at the north end of the airport.

The Service "B" teletype communications system, used for the distribution of movement and control messages and routine administrative messages, was increased to an operating speed of 100 words per minute on November 15, 1960.

The Service "A" teletype communications    system, providing hourly weather reports, area and terminal forecasts, winds aloft and pilot reports, was increased to an operating speed of 100 words per minute on February 6, 1961.

An altimeter setting indicator was installed in the operating room at the console position on March 16, 1961, which provides a rapid means of determining current altimeter for the Specialist operating the Air-Ground position.

Transmitting facilities on 120.7 megacycles were decommissioned on June 15, 1961.

The FAA Flight Service Station was moved to new quarters in the new Administration Building on July 17, 1961. These quarters as well as the quarters for the Maintenance Section are considerably larger and more convenient than that which was provided in the old building.

Runway end lights, short identification "RUNEL", an aid to aircraft in IFR weather or periods when ceilings and visibilities are considerably restricted have been installed at the northeast end of the northeast-southwest runway. These lights and a monitor system for the RUNEL were commissioned on July 25, 1961.

On October 25, 1963, transmitting and receiving 272.7 megacycles were decommissioned.

Receiving frequency 3O23.5 kilocycles was decommissioned at this facility on December 21, l964.

In order to distribute the communications load over several FSS communications channels, the frequency l35.9 megacycles was changed to 123.6 megacycles on October l4, l965. This FSS channel will be available to aircraft having less than 90 channels receiving capability.

The TACAN collocated with the Eau Claire, Wisconsin VOR was commissioned on February 3, l966. TACAN Channel 76, transmitting frequency 1163MC, receiving frequency 1100MC, identification is EAU.

Receiving facilities on l22.2 megacycles were commissioned on April 4, 1967.

On August 28, 1967 runway extension on runway 04-22 completed; runway length now 7300 feet. High intensity runway lights installed, REIL recommissioned, and taxiway lights to runway 04-22 installed.

October 1970 - Elizabeth DeCramer was selected as Senior female FSS Specialist from all FSSs and traveled to Washington DC to participate in the 50th Anniversary Celebration of Flight Service Stations. On August 20, 1970, she received a scroll recognizing her service to aviation.


Marvin W. Royce EOD as Maintenance Technician from Minneapolis to take over the duties of the VHF Omni-Directional Range which was under construction (8/2/61).

VHF Omni-Directional Range began operation on an non-commissioned and unmonitored basis.

Walter J. Allard EOD as Chief Airways Operations Specialist, arrived from Grand Forks, N. Dakota (3/28/64).

Elizabeth K. DeCramer, Airways Operations Specialist EOD from Milwaukee WI (5/3l/7l).

Margaret W. Anderson EOD as Airways Operations Specialist from Pellston, Michigan (l2/3l/75) (D Feb 2000).

Lois J. Lund EOD as Airways Operations Specialist from Grand Rapids, Michigan (8/3/52).

Carroll M. Norgaard EOD as Airways Operations Specialist from Minneapolis (1/1/77).

The station opened on a non-commissioned basis with limited wire service on circuits 8006, 8191, and 33 during the hours of 0800 to 17O0C.

Radio Transmitters on 117.7, 111.1 and 116.lmc receiving on 122.1 and 116.lmc were commissioned. The VOR voice on 117.7mc was commissioned.

VHF Omni-Directional Range was flight checked and commissioned as a BVOR.

The new VHF "RUQ" receivers were installed on frequencies 122.1, 126.7, and l2l.5mc. The two new receiving frequencies on 126.7 and l2l.5mc.

The Communication Station and Chief's office was under construction.

The Communication Station and Chief's Office was completed.

Transmitting frequencies of 116.lmc was changed to 140.58mc.

VHF "TUQ" transmitters on 111.1 and 121.7mc were installed.

The Military frequency 140.58mc was changed to l35.9mc and channel "B" transmitter was set up on 135.0mc.

Transmitting frequency 111.1mc was discontinued and replaced by 126.7mc.

Two new TUQ transmitters for 126.7 and l21.5mc were installed.

VHF standby receiver BC639 was removed and replaced with a RUP VHF tuneable receiver

The jump clock was installed on the console.

Local interphone was installed in the Wisconsin Central Airlines and Communications Station.

Lois J. Lund Airways Operations Specialist transferred to Chicago, Ill.

Carl N. Christopherson EOD as Airways Operations Specialist from Minneapolis (5/l0/53).

DME equipment arrived and stored at the VOR site.

Long line interphone GFP 7812 to Minneapolis Control Center was inaugurated. The North Central interphone line was dropped.

Carl N. Christopherson, Airways Operations Specialist transferred to Springfield, Illinois.

VOR airway number 26 was established.

James J. Kampa EOD as Airways Operations Specialist from Grantsburg WI (12/31/73).

Teletype drop circuit 33 located at Eau Claire Communications Station was discontinued by Washington order.

Service A was converted to 75WPM at 1417C.

Operations at 75WPM on Circuit B began.

The ultra high military frequency 255.4mc was commissioned for receiving facilities only.

The wind direction and velocity indicator was installed at the air ground position.

The Eau Claire DME was installed at the VOR for 30 days on a non-commissioned basis after a 30 day period the DME was operated two days per month on a non-commissioned basis.

Service B circuits were changed to 9274 and the circuit and the circuit ID is XMP.

Phase V equipment was completed and was to be commissioned at a further date.

Two new 28 type teletypes were installed and used on Service B. The machine typed only messages addressed to this facility.

Receiving and Transmitting facilities on 243.0mc and transmitting facility 255.4mc were commissioned.

The new RV-1 receiver on 135.9mc was commissioned replacing a BC624AV receiver.

Richard J. Clintsman EOD as Airways Operations Specialist as trainee from Detroit (l2/l3/57).

Richard J. Clintsman resigned as Airways Operations Specialist (9/16/57).

John D. Ristow EOD as Maintenance Technician trainee (1/9/60).

DeWitt E. Stafford EOD as Airways Operations Specialist from Kansas City (7/31/70).

Transmitting and receiving facilities on 272.7mc were commissioned.

David F. Price EOD as Airways Operations Specialist trainee (9/20/59).

The EAU VOR was recommissioned in the VORTAC building and frequency was changed from 117.7mc to 112.9mc.

David F. Price departed from Eau Claire as Airways Operations Specialist (2/8/59).

Robert L. Cerutti EOD as Airways Operations Soecialist trainee from Chicago (7/6/60).

Receiving facilities on 3023.9kc was decommissioned.

John D. Ristow Maintenance Technician trainee departed to Wisconsin State College.

A fire which started from a spark from a welding torch which was being used to repair a light aircraft, destroyed the building, the airport operations office, and shop. The Operations Office was in a house trailer temporarily.

Henry R. Heraly EOD as a Maintenance Technician from Chicago (8/10/60).

Robert I. Cerutti departed as Airways Operation Specialist (9/27/59).

Virgil E. McElwaine EOD as Maintenance Technician from Lone Rock WI (7/12/63).

Henry R. Heraly departed as Maintenance Technician (2/8/60).

Service B teletype used for routine administrative messages was increased to 100 WPM.

Service A teletype which provided hourly weather, terminals and pilot reports was increased to 100 WPM.

James W. Berge EOD as Flight Service Specialist Trainee from Chicago (6/9/62).

An altimeter setting was installed on the console position.

Transmitting facilities on 120.7mc were decommissioned.

FAA FSS moved to new quarters in the Administrative Building.

Runway lights were installed at the Northeast end of the northeast-south west runway. Lights and a monitor system were commissioned.

James W. Berge transferred to Milwaukee FSS (2/6/61).

Donald A. Fetting EOD as Assistant Flight Service Specialist from Milwaukee on a mutual transfer with James Berge (8/1/88).

Paul E. Vick EOD as Flight Service Specialist from Oklahoma City (10/15/65).

Harold N. Olsen EOD as relief Flight Service Specialist from North Platte Nebraska (5/15/64).

Gerald A. Kendzior EOD as Electronics Specialist from Wausau (1/3/86).

Virgil E. McElwaine, Maintenance Technician transferred to Duluth, Minnesota (8/7/60 2/8/66).

Marvin W. Royce, Maintenance Technician transferred to Rochester, Minnesota (6/3/48).

Transmitting and receiving facilities on 272.7mc were decommissioned.

Walter J. Allard retired as Chief Airways Operations Specialist (6/29/49) (Died in Florida 2/26/87).

Walter W. Mayer EOD as Assistant Flight Service Specialist from Grand Forks ND (9/27/65).

Harold N. Olsen, Flight Service Specialist transferred to Alexanderia, Minnesota (6/15/63).

Roger D. Ferguson EOD as Chief Flight Service Specialist from Minneapolis (1/14/68).

Walter W. Mayer, Assistant Flight Service Specialist transferred to Minneapolis (4/26/64).

Frequency 135.9mc was changed to 123.6mc.

Paul E. Vick, Flight Service Specialist transferred to Anchorage, Alaska (5/12/63).

TACAN co-located with the Eau Claire VOR was commissioned.

Virgil E. McElwaine EOD as Maintenance Technician from Duluth, Minnesota. (7/12/63).

Harold N. Olsen EOD as relief Flight Service Specialist from Minneapolis (6/15/63 4/6/69).

Receiving facilities on 122.2mc commissioned.

Runway extension on 4-22 completed and it is now 7300 feet, high intensity runway lights installed, REIL recommissioned, taxiway lights to 4-22 installed.

Transmitting and receiving facilities on 122.6mc was commissioned and 126.7mc was decommissioned.

Roger D. Ferguson, Chief Flight Service Specialist transferred to Cedar Rapids Iowa (11/9/64). Melvin T. Garbe, Chief Flight Service Specialist EOD from Minneapolis (4/26/75).

Highest activity in station's history was recorded, AC (aircraft contacted)=244, AA (airport advisories)=250, and PB (pilot briefings)=51.

Dazor microphone support replaced by Atlas Model GN-19 support.

Harold N. Olsen, Flight Service Specialist, transferred to Balboa (5/8/66).

122.3 transmit and receive commissioned, 122.2 receiver decommissioned.

Highest activity on record: AC=192, AA=224, and PB=74.

Highest number of pilot briefs recorded: 127 -- briefings by radio, telephone and counter briefs.

Lyle H. Duba EOD as new hire and will be going to Oklahoma City for 14 weeks of training.

Barbara J. Dilley EOD as Student Aid (9/5/69).

Harold C. Eward EOD as GS-9 ATCS(S) from Oklahoma City (4/18/71).

Barbara J. Dilley, Student Aid resigned to attend college (4/9/69).

Lyle H. Duba returned to Eau Claire following completion of training at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City (6/2/69).

David F. Overman EOD as new hire GS-9 and will be traveling to Oklahoma City to attend the FAA training Academy (12/29/69).

VHF/UHF Direction Finder was commissioned.

David F. Overman GS-9 ATCS separated (9/22/69).

James R. Slattery EOD as GS-7 new hire and will be traveling to Oklahoma City to attend 14 weeks of training at the FAA Academy (7/12/70).

Lynda J. Olson EOD as Summer Aid (8/10/70).

James A. Hatelstad EOD as GS-9 from Oklahoma city (10/17/71).

James R. Slattery, GS-7 ATCS transferred to Milwaukee FSS (4/13/70).

Robert B. Burchill EOD as Airway Facilities Technician ( ? ).

DeWitt E. Stafford Airways Operation Specialist retired (3/3/58).

Lynda J. Olson, Student Aid departed (6/3/70).

Acoustical tile was installed on walls of FSS.

Walls in FSS were painted, ceiling tile cleaned.

Harold C. Eward, GS-9 ATCS, transferred to Green Bay (7/7/69).

The Great Lakes Regional Office in Chicago was activated and the Minneapolis Area Office deactivated.

Robert L. Masters EOD at Eau Claire transfer from Kansas City Regional Office (5/27/73).

Elizabeth K. DeCramer, Airways Operations Specialist retired (6/29/49).

New carpet installed in FSS. John L. Stygar EOD as student aid (4/30/72).

New record for Aircraft Contacted - 297 (radio contacts was 560).

Weather desk glass was replaced with plexiglas.

Four small windows were replaced with two large windows.

James A. Hatelstad ATCS transferred to Rochester MN (6/22/70).

Weather circuit 8O26 was changed to circuit 8003-016.

Main 122.3mhz transmitter located at VORTAC site instead 123.6mhz, the standby is on TUQ 123.6mhz.

Franklin E. Massie ATCS EOD following completion of training at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City (l1/24/73).

Medium Intensity approach light system and runway alignment indicator lights (MALS/RAIL) commissioned on 22.

John L. Stygar, Student Aid resigned (6/7/71).

Activity: AC=200, FPS=11, PBs=72; workload totaled 385 points.

Marcia R. Krogman EOD as Summer Aid (9/15/72).

Activity: AC=148, FPs=28, PBs=10; workload totaled 406 points.

Activity: AC=193, FPs=29, PBs=116; workload totaled 483 points.

ILS commissioned on runway 22 and backcourse runway 04. Localizer 109.5 compass locater 239, outer marker and middle marker.

North Central NDB decommissioned.

Marcia R. Krogman, Summer Aid, departed (6/12/72).

ILS approach procedures are effective. North Central procedures were effective on equipment commissioning date.

Activity: AC=259, FPs=29, PBs=49; workload totaled 415 points.

Frequency 122.6 was changed to 122.2, 122.3 was changed to 122.65.

Gordon C. Fries EOD as Flight Service Specialist from Minneapolis FSS (1/15/75).

ATCS Robert L. Masters transferred to the Decatur IL FSS (5/16/71).

Kathryn B. Froehlieh EOD as Summer Aid (6/24/73).

Kathryn B. Froehlich, Summer Aid resigned (6/22/73).

Nela F. Stacy EOD as Summer Aid (9/28/73).

Record daily activity: AC=166, FPs=24, PBs=164 - total 542.

Nela F. Stacy Summer Aid departed (7/2/73).

REIL runway 22 decommissioned.

Franklin B. Massie ATCS transferred to the Lafayette IN FSS (1/27/72).

James J. Kampa Airways Operation Specialist was retired (10/12/53 1/2/74).

James Kampa re-hired on temporary appointment (12/7/74).

Harry L. Konschake transferred from Chicago FSS as a GS-7 (11/7/89).

Midstate Airlines began service to Eau Claire with 7 flights daily.

Hayward T-BVOR/DME commissioned, also LRCO l22.1 frequency 113.4 was commissioned.

RCAG at VORTAC 133.75mhz and 353.9 commissioned.

Cynthia J. Paulson EOD as Sunirrier Aid (8/13/74).

Ann Gilbert EOD as Developmental ET (11/74).

Dale Stubbe ATCS EOD as transfer from the Savannah GA ATCT (6/22/75).

Microwave oven purchased from Montgomery Wards - $199.88.

Telephone 835-9642 removed and was replaced with a two-line rotary system, 835-2269 and 2260. The direct lines from Gibson Aviation and North Central Airlines were removed.

Ann Gilbert Developmental ET transferred to Denver.

FSS quarters redecorated by the city.

James J. Kampa, Airways Operations Specialist resigned (1/2/74).

Michael P. Slife EOD as GS-7 ATCS from Minneapolis (11/7/89).

Gordon C. Fries, Flight Service Specialist transferred to Wausau FSS (12/10/72).

Gervase J. Wagner EOD as GS-7 ATCS from Minneapolis (7/20/75).

Melvin T. Garbe, FSS Chief retired (1/14/68).

Dale Stubbe ATCS transferred to Sarasota FL ATCT (6/23/74).

Margret Anderson temporarily promoted to acting chief.

David Sievwright EOD as Developmental ET (11/75).

Gerald A. Brainerd EOD as FSS Chief from Detroit FSS ( ? ).

Gervause J. Wagner transferred to Minneapolis FIDO-52 (1/19/75). David A. Anderson EOD as Developmental ATCS from Minneapolis FSS (11/7/89). Robert J. Youngquist EOD as Developmental ATCS from Minneapolis FSS (11/7/89).

Jane E. Fremstad, Summer Aid was terminated.

Theresa Balke EOD as Student Aid (10/22/76).

David Sievwright, Developmental ET transferred to Hibbing SF0 (6/75).

Margaret W. Anderson Airways Operations Specialist retired (6/29/49).

William Foreman Jr. EOD as Developmental ATCS from Minneapolis ( ? ).

Marilyn Jones EOD as Developmental ET (3/16/77).

Theresa Balke, Student Aid was terminated (9/29/75).

Oscar Mantik EOD as FSS Chief from Wausau FSS (Aug 78). Jerilyn Colby EOD as Student Aid (9/30/77).

Carroll M. Norgard Airways Operations Specialist retired ( ? ).

Marilyn Jones Developmental ET transferred to Rochester SF0 ( ? ).

Larry Himili EOD as ET.

Linda Sauve Wilkes EOD as Developmental ATCS from Minneapolis FSS ( ? ).

Jerilyn Colby Student Aid terminated (12/2/76).

Jodie Barnes EOD as Student Aid (8/10/79).

Michael Shukosky EOD as Developmental ATCS from Chicago FSS (11/7/89).

Mark Tobin EOD as Developmenta1 ATCS from Chicago FSS (10/21/79).

Robert J. Youngquist Eau Claire FSS ATCS traveled to Washington D.C. to receive the FSS Flight Assist of the year award from FAA Administrator Langhorne Bond. Mr. Youngquist, while on duty alone at night, worked an aircraft that was very low on fuel and in IFR weather conditions. Using DF procedures and a DF approach, the aircraft landed safely at Eau Claire.

Debra A. Hall EOD as Developmental ATCS from Chicago FSS (11/30/80).

Eau Claire FSS reclassified to Level II. FPL ATCSs were promoted to GS-10 however the Chief position remained as GS-11.

Wilbert E. Showers Jr. EOD as FSS Chief from Fort Wayne, Indiana FSS.

Jodie Barnes Student Aid resigned to enter college at LaCrosse (10/10/77).

Eau Claire FSS Chief position upgraded to GS-12.

Donald A Henton EOD as Developmental ATCS from Chicago ARTCC ( 8/27/81 ).

Mark Tobin Developmental ATCS transferred to Huron FSS (3/12/78).

Jacqueline A. Martinek EOD as Student Aid (5/16/81).

Larry Himili EOD as Developmental ET (7/6/85). Scheduled weather broadcast at H+15 discontinued.

Construction began on the runway improvements to lengthen runway 14-32 from 4100 to 5000 feet so that air carrier service would not be interrupted during the closure of 4-22. 4-22 will be widened from 100' to 150' and the length will remain 7300’. There will be a new concrete overlay that will vary from 13" to 15" thick.

Construction began on the addition to the Eau Claire terminal building.

Eau Claire runway construction is complete and operational. Runway 14-32 is now 5000x100 and runway 4-22 is 7300x7300.

150 leased Service A facilities are operational in the U.S. with 15 in the Great Lakes Region. Eau Claire FSS did not meet the number-of-pilot-briefings and is not one of the 150.

Gary Jagiela EOD as Developmental ATCS from Minneapolis ARTCC.

Debra A. Hall, Developmental ATCS transferred to Chicago FSS.

Gary Jagiela started his FSS Phase IV training following completion of FSS course in Oklahoma city.

Midstate Airlines suspended operations into Eau Claire.

Jackie Martinek resigned as student aid (10/23/79).

FSS received new XEROX copier.

New authorized staffing for EAU FSS is 7+1. FSS staffing in the GL Region is being reduced from 704 to 612 by the end of Sept 81. This reduction is in conjunction with federal budget cuts.

PATCO air traffic controller strike began. Because of the extremely limited number of controllers still working in the centers and towers, to control the number of aircraft entering the system, an IFR general aviation reservation program (GAR program) was put into place. Each FSS was given a hourly number of IFR slots based on the average number of IFR flight plans normally entered by that facility.

Hiring began to rebuild the Air Traffic System because of the firing of approximately 12,000 controllers.

Work has been completed and equipment returned to service after the wind sensing equipment was moved from atop the old terminal building. The sensing equipment is now located on the airport surface near the DF building. The move was necessary because of the unreliable indications we had been receiving because the roof of the new terminal building addition appeared to be creating "eddys".

ATCS Donald Henton transferred to Minneapolis ARTCC.

The addition to the terminal building was opened for use.

Work has begun on remodeling the old terminal building. This work, when completed, will increase the FSS operations area by about 50%. It will also provide space for a Team Supervisor office, a new break room, a new training/conference room, and new offices for the AF and FSS chiefs.

The Federal Labor Relations Authority ruled to decertify PATCO.

FAA took occupancy of the remodeled and expanded space.

We received word that there is a 12 day furlough being proposed for all FAA personnel except for some of the tower and center personnel. It is planned that the furlough would be one day per pay period starting in April and finishing the last pay period of the fiscal year.

Thomas Blackwell entered on duty in the FSS reassigned from Chicago ARTCC (8/5/84).

The proposed furlough has been reduced to 6 days.

Donald Goserud entered on duty in the FSS as a new hire (10/27/85).

Congress passed a continuing resolution which provides funds for FAA operations. The proposed furlough has been cancelled.

Both houses of Congress passed the controller pay package (Air Traffic Control Revitalization Act). This legislation provides a 5% responsibility pay for all (ARTCC/ATCT/FSS) controllers at or above GS-9, and premium pay for working without a meal period. The President signed it on Saturday. The package is nearly the same one as the DOT introduced to congress last year shortly after the PATCO strike. Included are ARTCC and ATCT and FSS personnel and many AF people. Also included are some flight standards personnel.

The new airport lighting panel is operational. Also operational is the new engine generator for the airport lighting. The engine generator for FAA lights and equipment is still operational as it was.

New carpeting installed in FSS operations area.

2nd generation changeover work on the Eau Claire VORTAC was completed. The VORTAC was returned to service today after having be OTS for 13 days. Because of the type of monitor equipment necessary, Minneapolis FSS now has monitor responsibility.

Lakeland Commuter (based in Rice Lake) ceased scheduled passenger operations. They had developed their schedule (using 2 DH6s and 2 C402s) up to approximately 10 flights per day in and out of Eau Claire.

Air Wisconsin announced they will be starting service to Eau Claire on April 1st using DH-7 aircraft with 4 flights per day.

Janet Rzepiejewski EOD as stay-in-school employee (8/24/85).

Western Union began installation of the leased service A computer terminal equipment in the Eau Claire FSS. It will be connected to the GS-200 processor at the Wausau FSS.

The first of three computer terminals is operational on Service A and was used for briefing for the first time today.

A cassette recorder was installed replacing the reel-to-reel for inflight emergencies.

ATCS Thomas Blackwell transferred to Chicago FSS (3/1/82).

Air Wisconsin ceased operations at Eau Claire (2/1/84). Midstate Airlines resumed service to Eau Claire with 6 flights per day using SW4 and F27 aircraft.

ATCS Dale Walker EOD at Eau Claire FSS being reassigned from Minneapolis ARTCC (11/7/89). He will be at the Academy until February.

Advanced 800 telephone system became operational in Wisconsin.

An unusual air traffic situation took place at Cable Wisconsin. On this day, following a flying dentists convention, 48 aircraft were ready for IFR departure at Cable. The ceiling was 600-700 feet. In preparation for such a situation, ATCS Robert Youngquist was at the Telemark Lodge on official duty starting on June 27th. Mr. Youngquist accepted IFR flight plans for the following morning and distributed a sheet of instructions to the IFR pilots on procedures to use for pre-taxi, taxi, and departure. Mr. Youngquist used a VHF radio and coordinating via telephone through the Eau Claire FSS, 43 aircraft departed between 7:30am and 11:00am. This averages less than five minutes per aircraft and at a location where there is no remote communications outlet.

ET Larry Himli transferred to Marquette Michigan as AFSFO manager (4/1/80).

Midstate Airlines ceased operations at Eau Claire (10/28/84).

Janet Rzepiejewski resigned to attend college in Iowa (3/12/84).

ATCS Tim Wright reassigned to EAU FSS from Minneapolis ARTCC. He will travel to Oklahoma City to complete the FSS training course (3/15/88).

ATCS Donald Goserud transferred to Minneapolis FSS (6/1/82).

AF manager Gerry Kendzior retired when his job was abolished (6/29/63).

The teletype circuit for service A was eliminated.

New satellite dish receiver system was installed by an RCA technician for receiving signal for our facsimile machine.

RCO at Rice Lake commissioned on 122.3.

Computer terminals used for service B functions starting today.

ATCS Dale Walker injured in a motorcycle accident.

Chicago Air began service as a new airline with service to Eau Claire. They are using Fokker F-27 aircraft and have 4 flights to Eau Claire per day.

Eau Claire FSS flight plan area was expanded to include the portion of Wisconsin to the St. Croix River.

Republic Airlines becomes part of Northwest Airlines effective today. All former Republic flights are now Northwest.

Republic Express commuter began operations at Eau Claire with two flights per day. The flights operate as Northwest Airlink and are serviced by Northwest Airlines ground crew.

Chicago Air changed the first (of four) flights of the day and the last flight to Metroliner using Midstate aircraft and call sign. Midstate recently acquired controlling interest in Chicago Air.

All Chicago Air flights are now operating as Midstate flights and are all Metroliners.

Eau Claire County locked the doors of Chicago Air for being behind in paying their bills. All Chicago Air flights have been suspended.

New Kenrnore microwave oven purchased for FSS use.

Highest month activity on record: Total activity 14,869. Aircraft contacted 4,049, flight plans 1,462, and pilot briefings 3,948.

Highest single day on record: 782 (aircraft contacted 264, flight plans 64, pilot briefings 195, airport advisories 173, and radio contacts 487). Previous high day on record was 8/2/87 - 743 (AC 205, FP 48, PB 221).

Activity figures for August 1987 were the highest on record for any single month. July 1987 total activity count was 15,607 (aircraft contacted 4,611, flight plans 1,669, pilot briefings 3,829).

William Clark EOD as ET ( ).

Alden weather radar installed in operations area.

All ATCSs are now certified on Alden weather radar equipment.

ATCS Tim Wright transferred to GRB FSS (9/29/85).

Total activity for the twelve month period ending 4/30/88 is 130,027 which is a new facility record total.

The Eau Claire Jaycee air show featuring the Navy's Blue Angels flying FA-18s attracted 80,000-100,000 spectators to the Eau Claire airport. FSS activity for 7/23 was 732 which included a new one day record aircraft contacted of 532. FSS activity for 7/24 was 768 which is only 14 below the record daily total activity. Static displays included C130, P51, P40, S3, Cobra and Huey helicopters, an A10, and numerous general aviation aircraft.

ATCS Don Fetting retired (6/10/62).

Northwest Airlines discontinued Convair operations into Eau Claire. Effective today, all Northwest operations at Eau Claire are DC-9.

Alden DIFAX came on-line today.

Highest barometric pressure on record in Eau Claire today - 31.00 and stayed at that level from 10:00am to noon.

Northwest Airlines discontinued service to Eau Claire. Effective tomorrow, Northwest Airlink will increase their flights between Eau Claire and Minneapolis.

GEN0T 9/38 was received that announced the DOT Secretary has approved the AFSS reclassification of FPL ATCS to GS-12 effective 10/8/69.

All 800 telephone lines were switched over to GRB AFSS at 6:00pm.

The Eau Claire FSS flight plan area responsibilities switched over to the GRB AFSS except for the Eau Claire and Rice Lake airports.

At 10:55am, all radio frequencies were cutover to GRB AFSS. The last radio communication from the Eau Claire FSS was made by ATCS Mike Slife at 10:54am giving an airport advisory and an IFR clearance. The last telephone pilot briefing was by Will Showers at 11:54am. The Eau Claire FSS was officially decommissioned at 12:00 noon.

Weather observations are going to continue 24 hours a day. There was to have been a weather observation contractor in place by the time of closure who would assume weather observation responsibilities. For various reasons, a contractor was not in place to begin at the time of FSS closing. Four ATCSs will remain to take weather observations until a contractor is ready to take over.

The following is the staff of Eau Claire ATCSs at the time of closing:

David Anderson (7/20/75) will transfer to Green Bay AFSS. He will be TDY for weather observations at Eau Claire.

Harry Konschake (2/17/74) transferred to Green Bay AFSS effective immediately.

Michael Shukosky (12/14/77) transferred to Green Bay AFSS effective immediately.

Michael Slife (12/8/74) will transfer to the Fort Dodge Iowa AFSS. He will stay to take weather observations TDY.

Dale Walker (7/2/84) will transfer to the Green Bay AFSS. He will be taking weather observations TDY in Eau Claire.

Robert Youngquist (7/2/75) will transfer to the Princeton Minnesota AFSS. He will be TDY at Eau Claire taking weather observations.

Wilbert Showers (l2/5/78) will transfer to Green Bay AFSS. He will be TDY to complete closure responsibilities and then help out with weather observations.

Facility Activity Records

Total activity for one month August 1987 - 15,607

Aircraft Contacted 4,611

Flight Plans 1,669

Pilot Briefings 3,829

Total activity for one day - August 5, 1987 - 782

Aircraft Contacted 264

Flight Plans 64

Pilot Briefings 195

Airport Advisories 173

Radio Contacts 487

Total activity for twelve month period ending 4/30/88 - 130,027

One day Aircraft Contacted - July 23, 1988 - 532

This is the last entry for the Eau Claire Wisconsin Flight Service Station history record.

Submitted by:  Wilbert E. Showers
Air Traffic Manager
Eau Claire Wisconsin Flight Service Station
Federal Aviation Administration


Can you help?
Do you have access to any old photos related to air traffic history, buildings, equipment, personnel, or other related historical data?  Help restore memories. Submit your life stories to be posted here.

Forward your photos by one of the byfollowing methods:

  1. Scan your photos (minimum 300dpi) and email them to Webmaster (depending on size).
  2. Scan your photos (minimum 300dpi) and mail me the electronic version on a CD/DVD disk or other device and I will return it to you. Contact Webmaster for address.
  3. Mail the original photos (see #2) and I will return them.


FillerTr.gif (48 bytes)

        Please send  comments regarding this page to Webmaster